The work of Shevchenko concerning the development of artistic education is considered. The article analyzes the little-known facts confirming the documentary existence of the project of Taras Shevchenko about the creation of an art school until the moment of the arrest of the poet and artist in 1847. It is stated, in particular, that on February 21, 1847, T. Shevchenko had to start the drawing at the Kyiv University. St. Volodymyr T. Shevchenko's life goals did not come true, but his ideological and aesthetic worldview had a direct artistic and pedagogical influence on contemporaries and artists-educators of Ukraine of the following generations. With various ideological approaches, the artistic ideas of T. Shevchenko were implemented both in Soviet Ukraine and in the centers of the Ukrainian diaspora. It is proved that in the methodical dimension T. Shevchenko's project had a broad cultural basis, relied on history, archeology, art studies, national everyday culture and applied arts, in general philosophy. Having overcome the stereotypes of academicism, T. Shevchenko laid out a new creative and pedagogical method, which received many followers and an infinite number of forms of implementation in all types and genres of art. It is noted that it was T. Shevchenko who became the cornerstone for the establishment of the national artistic school of Ukraine
1. Ohiienko I. (mytropolyt Ilarion)(2002). Taras Shevchenko / Fundatsiia imeni mytropolyta Ilariona (Ohiienka) [Taras Shevchenko / Metropolitan Ilarion Foundation (Ogienko)]. Kyiv : Nasha kultura i nauka (in Ukrainian)
2. Zhur P. (1996). Trudy i dni Kobzarya [Proceedings and days of the Kobzar]. Lyubertsy : Lyuberetskaya gazeta.
3. Tsentralnyi derzhavnyi istorychnyi arkhiv Ukrainy u Kyievi, fond 442, opys 1, sprava 8241, ark. 5 (in Ukrainian)
4. Shcherbakivskyi V. Ukrainskoe iskusstvo [Ukrainian art] Tsentralnyi derzhavnyi arkhiv vyshchykh orhaniv vlady Ukrainy, fond 3864, opys 1, sprava 2, ark. 51-98.
5. Tsentralnyi derzhavnyi istorychnyi arkhiv Ukrainy u Kyievi, fond 442, opys 634, sprava 54 (in Ukrainian).
6. Sichynskyi V. (1951) Visti z NTSh. Naukovi dopovidi [News from NTSh. Scientific reports] in Svoboda, 4.81 (1951): 134 (in Ukrainian).
7. Povest Tarasa Shevchenko «Hudozhnik». Illyustratsii, dokumenty (1989). [Taras Shevchenko "The Artist". Illustrations, documents.]. – Kyiv : Mystetstvo (in Ukrainian).
8. Shevchenkivskyi slovnyk (1976) [Shevchenko dictionary]. In Vol. 2, Vol. 1. Kyiv (in Ukrainian).
9. Taras Shevchenko (2003). Lysty do riznykh osib. Lyst do V. Hryhorovycha vid 28 hrudnia 1843 [Taras Shevchenko. Letters to different persons. Letter to V. Grigorovich from December 28, 1843] in Taras Shevchenko. Zibrannia tvoriv. In Vol. 6. Vol. 6. Kyiv : Naukova dumka (in Ukrainian).
10. Taras Shevchenko (1982). Dokumenty ta materialy do biohrafii 1814–1861 [Documents and materials for the biography of 1814-1861]. Kyiv : Vyshcha shkola (in Ukrainian).
11. Taras Shevchenko (1960). Lysty [Taras Shevchenko. Letters]. Chikago : Vyd-vo Mykoly Denysiuka (in Ukrainian).
12. Taras Shevchenko (2003). Lysty do Br. Zaleskoho vid 10.02.1855 [Letters to Br. Zaleski of 10.02.1855] in Taras Shevchenko. Zibrannia tvoriv. In Vol. 6. Vol. 6. Kyiv : Naukova dumka (in Ukrainian).
13. Taras Shevchenko (2003). Zibrannia tvoriv [Taras Shevchenko. Collected works]. In Vol. 6. Vol. 5. Kyiv : Naukova dumka (in Ukrainian).
14. Mokritskiy A. N. (1975) Dnevnik hudozhnika A. N. Mokritskogo [Diary of the artist A. N. Mokritsky]. Moscow : Izobrazitelnoe iskusstvo (in Russian).
15. Popova L. (1961). Lev Mykhailovych Zhemchuzhnykov [Lev Mikhailovich Zhemchuzhnikov]. Kyiv : Derzhavne vydavnytstvo obrazotvorchoho mystetstva i muzychnoi literatury URSR (in Ukrainian).
16. Hordynskyi S. (1942). Taras Shevchenko – maliar [Taras Shevchenko is a painter]. Krakiv : Ukrainske vydavnytstvo (in Ukrainian).
17. Arkhypenko O. (1970). Do moikh ukrainskykh zemliakiv [To my Ukrainian fellow countrymen] in Svoboda, 13.08 (in Ukrainian).
18. Pohruddia Tarasa Shevchenka – novyi arkhytvir O. Arkhypenka (1953) [The bust of Taras Shevchenko - a new arhytvir Alexander Archipenko ] in Svoboda, 4.03 (in Ukrainian).
19. Taras Shevchenko (2003). Lyst do Br. Zaleskoho vid 10, 15.02.1857 [Letter to Br. Zaleski from 10.02.1857] in Taras Shevchenko. Zibrannia tvoriv. In Vol. 6. Vol. 6.– Kyiv : Naukova dumka (in Ukrainian).