Competition for the attention of consumers in the modern fashion industry makes the problem of finding new effective means of marketing communications a topical issue. Fashion designers are interested in creating conditions of high quality for a vivid demonstration of new collections, it enables to increase the popularity of the brand, to strengthen the prestige on the market, to attract the attention of potential customers to the products. Modern trends demonstrate how often designers prefer original and unusual locations for defile, which are oriented on maximally spectacular design planning of the presentation space, in order to stand out against the background of the general information flow in any way.
Various studies were devoted to this problem directly or indirectly, its various aspects were studied in many papers, but the peculiarities of forming scenography for fashion defile in different types of locations were not brought together as one of the design planning problems, which determined the topic of the study.
The purpose of the article is to demonstrate the significance of scenography in modern design planning of demonstration spaces, to reveal the peculiarities of the monumental and decorative design of fashion shows.
The article deals with the main types of scenery for outdoor and indoor location: interior, landscape, special and project ones. It has been defined what kind of differences exist between the scenery for fashion shows and theatrical and cinematic scenery. It has been determined under which principles the decorative design of presentation spaces is formed.
• The scenery on the demonstration site shall look flawless, since the audience often stands very close and interacts with objects, unlike theatrical stage or cinema, where it may look “conditional”. And there is, also, photo and video shooting. Thus, performance, use of materials and detalization of decoration require high quality.
• Additional equipment, namely stage structures, illumination systems, sound equipment, is visually open to the audience on the fashion shows and it also requires a comprehensive approach with decorative design. In the cinema and theater, these things remain off screen, are not visually active.
• Installation and disassembly of scenery in a short time frame, since it is installed only for the duration of the show, often in the leased spaces. It is usually one-time.
• Scenery at the outdoor locations in the open air on fashion shows requires special decorative objects, scale observed towards space, and professional illumination, due to photo and video shooting.
• Objective decorative filling shall provide ecological, functional and aesthetic comfortability, these factors determine the general comfort.
Hence, the decorative design of the environment facilitates the disclosure of the main theme of the collection, the concept as a whole, provides performance with a certain form, enhances the impact of the show on the audience, determines the style of the performance. It is an indisputable fact that the decorative design, created by highly skilled experts for fashion shows, does not cease to astonish and captivate. Theatricalization of fashion shows and the development of modern technologies have led to the creative search and implementation of the most unexpected ideas of scenery, stage-properties and props. This article opens the following prospects in the study of the design of demonstration spaces: to study the specifics of use of new technologies in modern scenography and their influence on the formation of the artistic image of Ukrainian fashion defile.
1. Arystarko, H. (1966). Ystoryia teoryy kyno (trans. H. Bohemskoho. Moskva: Iskusstvo, 23-25 p. [In Russian].
2. Astafieva, T. (2011). Novye tekhnologii v sovremennom postanovochnom protsesse. Sankt-Peterburh, 187 p. [In Russian].
3. Bart, R. (2003). Systema mody. Stat'i po semyotyke kultury. Moskva: Izdatelstvo im. Sabashnykovykh, [In Russian].
4. Berezkyn, V. (2002). Iskusstvo scenografii mirovogo teatra. Mastera XVI – XX vv. Moskva: Editorial URSS. 296 p. [In Russian].
5. Biliakovych, L. (2013). Dynamika rozvytku perfomansu: asymiliatyvni ta syntetychni oznaky. Visnyk KNUKiM. Seriia: Mystetstvoznavstvo, 28, 33–39. [In Ukrainian].
6. Hurdina, V. (2012). Vzaiemovplyv stseny ta podiumu. Teoriia ta praktyka dyzainu, 2, 31–36. [In Ukrainian].
7. Dykhnych, L. (2017). Do istorii modnykh pokaziv v Yevropi na rubezhi XIX- XX st. Mizhnarodnyi visnyk: Kulturolohiia. Filolohiia. Muzykoznavstvo, 1, 24–28. [In Ukrainian].
8. Lehenkyi, Yu. (2003). Mehaistoriia kostiuma. Kyiv: KNMAU im. P.I. Chaikovskoho. 248 p. [In Ukrainian].
9. Lehenkyi, Yu. (2003). Filosofiia mody XX st. Kyiv: KNUKiM, 300 p. [In Ukrainian].
10. Mykhailova, A. (1990). Veshch na stsene. Stsenohrafyia: Teoryia y opyt. Moskva: Sov. khudozhnik, 177–232. [In Russian].
11. Melnyk, M. (2008). Moda v konteksti khudozhnikh praktyk XX st. Kyiv. nats. un-t kultury i mystets. Extended abstract of Candidate’s thesis. Kyiv. [In Ukrainian].
12. Mokhsyn Hennar. Pavilion i dekoratsiia yak prostir. THESAURUS 2017 UDK 7.091 88–96 s. [In Ukrainian].
13. Proskuriakov, V. (2002). Pryntsypy rozvytku arkhitekturnoi typolohii ukrainskoho teatru. Natsionalnyi un-t «Lvivska politekhnika». Extended abstract of Doctor’s thesis. Lviv, 485 p. [In Ukrainian].
14. Proskuriakov, V., Yarema, D. (2008). Stsenohrafiia yak holovna skladova arkhitektury teatru. Tradytsii ta novatsii u vyshchii arkhitekturno-khudozhnii osviti. Kharkiv: KhDADM, 1–3, 245–248. [In Ukrainian].
15. Tkachenko, L. (1999). Moda yak estetychnyi fenomen. In-t filos. im. H. S. Skovorody NAN Ukrainy. Extended abstract of Candidate’s thesis. Kyiv. [In Ukrainian].
16. Tkanko, Z. (2015). Moda v Ukraini XX stolittia: monohrafiia Lviv : ARTOS, 236 p. [In Ukrainian].
17. Trykolenko, S. (2017). Virtualne miske seredovyshche na teatralnii stseni. Problemy rozvytku miskoho seredovyshcha. 1, 146–158. [In Ukrainian].
18. Fenkel, M. (1987). Plastyka stsenycheskoho prostranstva. Nekotorыe voprosy teorii i praktiki stsenohrafii. Kyiv: Mystetstvo, 180 p. [In Russian].