Range of problems. In modern interior design, stained glass can play the role of artistic accent. Operating with both colour and light, it has considerable creative potential and therefore requires thorough and comprehensive study.
The research objective is to study stained glass as a cultural phenomenon and to determine its technical and aesthetic features for use in modern space.
The methodology of the study is based on the study of the historical principles of the formation of different types of stained glass techniques, which are then compared based on technological, stylistic, artistic grounds to determine the creative potential of using them in contemporary interior design.
The scientific novelty is to systematize stained glass techniques, to identify their technological and aesthetic features and creativity.
Results. The main trends in the development of stained glass art and its aesthetics in the contemporary cultural space of Ukraine are determined in this research paper. It is emphasized that, despite the expansion of the scope and the change of the general context, the stained glass remains a visual light source.
Conclusions. Many centuries ago, the basic idea of transmitting light through coloured glass to obtain visual effects that affect a person’s psycho-emotional state is preserved in modern stained glass art. The combination of colour and light is the basis that allows creating various images of contemporary art. Stained glass functions also include the creation of a special light-coloured environment that is a reflection of the philosophical attitudes of a particular culture. Therefore, we can talk about the “image” of the stained glass, which has a certain aesthetic and meaning load.
1. Ametova, L. (2018). Vitrazhnoe iskusstvo kak sredstvo jesteticheskogo vosprijatija [Stained Glass Art as a Means of Aesthetic Perception]. EUROPEAN RESEARCH: collection of reasons XVI International Research and Practice Conference of the International Scientific Cooperation Center “Nauka I Prosveshchenie”. Penza, 1, 235–237. [In Russian]
2. Hiliazova, N.M. (2013). Ukrainskyi vitrazh (tekhnika vykonannia ta tekhnolohiia vyhotovlennia) [Ukrainian Stained Glass (Performance Technique and Manufacturing Technology)]. Scientific Notes. Series: Art Studies, 2, 174–177. [In Ukrainian]
3. Hrymaliuk, R. (2004). Vitrazhi Lvova kintsia KhIKh – pochatku KhKh stolittia [Stained Glasses of Lviv of the End of the 19th – Beginning of the 20th Century]. Ethnology Institute of NAS of Ukraine, Lviv. [In Ukrainian]
4. Davydova, N. (1984). Vitrazh-84 [Stained Glass-84]. Proceedings of the International Glass Symposium. Section: Artist and Environment. Vilnius, 12, 8–12. [In Russian]
5. Zadorozhnyi, B.V. (2013). Suchasnyi vitrazh yak osoblyvyi element dekoru v tserkovnii arkhitekturi [Vitrazhi Lvova kintsia KhIKh – pochatku KhKh stolittia.Contemporary Stained Glass as a Special Element of Decoration in Church Architecture]. Architectural Bulletin of KNUCA, 1, 308–314. [In Ukrainian]
6. Zinoveeva, M.M. (2003). Vitrazhi v inter'erah russkogo moderna [Stained Glass in the Interiors of the Russian Modernist Style]: Abstract of the Thesis for Candidate of Art Studies: 17.00.01. Moscow: Moscow State Stroganov Academy of Design and Applied Arts (Stroganov Academy). [In Russian]
7. Korolev, M.Yu. (2009). Vitrazh kak fenomen hudozhestvennoj kul'tury. [Stained Glass as a Phenomenon of Artistic Culture]. Vestnik Vestnik Kostromskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta im. N.A. Nekrasova, 2, 213–216. [In Russian]
8. Litvinenko, S. (2005). Tehnologija f'juzinga [Fusing Technology]. Kyiv: Vitrazhnaja masterskaja. [In Ukrainian]
9. Pavlyk, R. (2006). Rozvytok vitrazhnoho mystetstva Ukrainy 19–20 st. v konteksti mystetstva krain Yevropy ta Ameryky [Development of Stained Glass Art of Ukraine of the 19th – 20th Centuries in the Context of Art in Europe and America]. Perspective Directions of Designing Residential and Public Buildings. Means of Monumental Decorative Art and Design: Coll. of Scientific Papers. 38–42. [In Ukrainian]
10. Ragin, V., Higgins, M. (2004). Iskusstvo vitrazha. Ot istokov do sovremennosti [Stained Glass Art. From the Origins to the Present]. Moscow: Belyi Horod. [In Russian]
11. Radomsky, N. T. (2007). Tehnologii vitrazha: «Stil' Tiffani» [Stained Glass Technology: Tiffany’s Style]. Visnyk Kharkivskoi derzhavnoi akademii dyzainu i mystetstv. Mystetstvoznavstvo. Arkhitektura. Kharkiv,11, 93-99. [In Russian]
12. Radomskyi, M. T. (2015). Khudozhnii vitrazh na suchasnomu etapi: khudozhni, tekhniko-tekhnolohichni i funktsionalni novatsii u vitrazhnomu mystetstvi [Artistic Stained Glass at the Present Stage: Artistic, Technical, Technological and Functional Innovations in Stained Glass Art]. Humanities Science Current Issues, 12, 130–134. [In Ukrainian]
13. Radomsky, N. T. (2013). Svet i cvet v stekle vitrazhej [Light and Colour in Stained Glass] A New Look. International Scientific Journal. Publisher: Center for the Development of Scientific Cooperation Limited Liability Company. Novosibirsk, 2, 80–87. [In Russian]
14. Springis, E.Ye. (2002). Vitrazh [Stained Glass]. Orthodox Encyclopedia. Moscow, VIII, 581–583. [In Russian]
15. Francesca, Dell’Aqua. (2006). Steklo i estestvennyj svet v formirovanii sakral'nyh prostranstv Latinskogo Zapada i Vizantijskogo Vostoka [Glass and Natural Light in the Formation of the Sacral Spaces of the Latin West and Byzantine East. Hierotopia. Moscow, 318–324. [In Russian]