Summary. The defined issue is the new angle to study Petro Kholodnyi Sr. heritage, that allows to research the thematic interest features and style synthesis specific to artist`s original language, where we can trace the modernist style, symbolism, byzantine style and impressionism echoes.
It was observed an important group of artwork by Kholodnyi Sr. in the article. Together with the sacral heritage, they have played a significant role in the reviving of the Ukrainian national art in the first part of XX century - the compositions on the folk themes.
The comprehensive review of the folk poetics in creative work by Petro Kholodnyi Sr., is lightened in context of the current historical and art-cultural realities of the defined period, that allowed to distinguish the characteristic, typical and novel features in creating, by Petro Kholodnyi Sr., the Ukrainian national art through appealing to the folk poetics. It was marked, that Petro Kholodnyi Sr. engagement in folklore was natural in context of two essential interdependent tendencies of that period: the idea of the “national reviving” in the Ukrainian culture in the first part of XX century, among the characteristic features of which – appealing to folklore as the field of the national spirit preserving and “tradition discovery”. It is defined the peculiarities of trendsetting technical performance and ideological-stylistic understanding and rendering of the folk poetics in the visual form, that expanded the idea of this source interpretation abilities in form and sense aspects of that period art searches context.
Methods. For holistic analysis, author applied the following methods: form and style analysis to explore the art peculiarities of the artwork, on the Ukrainian folklore motives, by Petro Kholodnyi Sr.; comparative style analysis to detect the features of artist creation manner and its change according to certain one or other ideological-sensitive or emotional message, and to distinguish the differences, between comprehension and visual implementation of the folk poetics in Kholodnyi Sr. creative work in comparison with Russian artists, who, in their creative activities, appealed to the folk well-springs.
Results. Through folk poetics, which he felt delicately, Kholodnyi Sr. propagates the most current messages of “national reviving” in early XX century. In particular, the Ukrainian national history pages he exposes via appealing to such source of its study as ballad (thought) (“The thought of the Black sea windstorm”), that added some folk-poetic colours to the theme; also he refers to one of the most famous ancient Rus literature memorials of the late XII century – “The Lay of Igor’s Campaign”, which is saturated with Slavic folk poetry motives. In compositions created by these sources, Kholodnyi Sr. not so much emphasized the ballad subject illustrations or historical annals context as the poetic highness. So there is in his artwork, even on historic themes, a strong, musical in its harmonic melody, rhythm of colourful spots and lines. That’s the important individuality of his creations. The same powerful national poetics we can also feel in his creative works on Ukrainian tales, corals and songs motives, where the emphasis is put on enlarging the emotional-sensitivity edge, but not on the external plot, that we can see in such works as “Oh, there is rye on a field”, “Ivasyk and witch” and “The tale of a girl and a peacock”. Poetry and subjective-emotional components of two last creations point out on the affinity to symbolic-modern worldview, where the reality and tale are mixed at the moment. In his works on folk themes, he combined the style trends early XX century with the national painting traditions. Particularly “The Tale of a girl and a Peacock” corresponds by style to plastic language of modern with its emphasized decorativeness, softness of lines and clear lineal drawing, but in composition “Oh, there is rye on a field” we can see the signs of late modern which includes into its art language the method of stylization one or other famous historical pattern, in this case - byzantinism. Both art work performed in discovered by artist tempera technique which allowed to get that colour tints that enchanted in the ancient Galician icons. So these paintings possess you by delicately harmonized tincture which together with folk motive, its subject and ethnographic details, like heroes’ cloths, creates the folk-national sound of composition.
1. Antonovych, D. (1914). Ukrajinsjka artystychna vystavka u Poltavi [Ukrainian Art Exhibition in Poltava]. Dzvin (Kyjiv), 1, 47 – 55.
2. Biliаshivskyі M. F. peredm. M. R. Selivachov; upor. O.O. Savchuk. (2017). Ukraіnske narodne mystetstvo [Ukrainian Folk Art]. Kharkiv: Vydavets Oleksandr Savchuk, 168 s.
3. Biriulov, Yu. (2005). Mystetstvo lvivskoi setsesii [Art of Lviv Secession]. Lviv : Tsentr Yevropy, 184 s.
4. Holubets M. (1996). Kholodnyi [Kholodnyi]. Na poshanu Petrovi Ivanovychu Kholodnomu (1876-1930). Lviv, Vyp. 1, 7–16.
5. Danylenko, V. M., Zavalniuk, O. M., Kurylenko, H. O., Teliachyĭ, Iu. V. (2006). V imia Ukraïny. Petro Ivanovych Kholodnyĭ (1876-1930) [In the name of Ukraine. Petro Ivanovych Kholodnyi]. Khmelnytskyĭ : PP Melnyk A.A., 200, 206 s.
6. Dei, O. (1981). Spilkuvannia myttsiv z narodnoiu poeziieiu. Ivan Franko ta yoho otochennia [Communication of artists with folk poetry. Ivan Franko and his entourage]. K.: Naukova dumka, 332 s.
7. Drahan, M. (1996). Mystetska tvorchist P. Kholodnoho (z nahody posmertnoi vystavky) [Art by P. Kholodnyi (on the occasion of the posthumous exhibition)]. Na poshanu Petrovi Ivanovychu Kholodnomu (1876-1930). Lviv, 1996. Vyp.1, 43–44.
8. Istoriia ukrainskoi kultury (2005): u 5-ty tt. T.4, kn. 2. Ukrainska kultura druhoi polovyny ХІХ stolittia [History of Ukrainian culture: in 5 vols. Vol.4, book. 2. Ukrainian culture of the second half of the ХІХ century]. Kyiv : Naukova dumka, 1266 s.
9. Istoriia ukrainskoi kultury (2011): u 5-ty tt. T.5, kn. 1. Ukrainska kultura ХХ – pochatku ХХІ stolit [History of Ukrainian culture: in 5 vols. Vol.5, book. 1. Ukrainian culture of the XX - beginning of the XXI centuries]. Kyiv : Naukova dumka, 863 s.
10. Karpenko A. (2016). Volodymyr Shukhevych – spivorhanizator Kraievoï vystavky u Lvovi 1894 roku [Volodymyr Shukhevych - co-organizer of regional exhibition in Lviv in 1894]. Narodoznavchi zoshyty, 4, 785–791.
11. Kataloh vtrachenykh eksponativ Natsionalnoho muzeiu u Lvovi (1996) [Catalog of the lost exhibits of the National Museum in Lviv]. K., Lviv, 102 s.
12. Morhunov N., Morhunova-Rudnytskaia N. (1962). Vyktor Mykhailovych Vasnetsov. Zhyzn y tvorchestvo [Victor Mikhailovich Vasnetsov. Life and art]. M. : Yskusstvo, 460 s.
13. Opishnianskyi Honchar (1912). Persha ukrainska artystychna vystavka [The first Ukrainian art exhibition]. Rada, 10 yanvaria (23sichenia), 2-3.
14. Pchilka O. (1911). Ukrainska artystychna vystavka [Ukrainian Art Exhibition]. Ridnyi krai, 28-29, 24–29.
15. Revutskyĭ, D (1939). Shevchenko i narodna pisniа [Shevchenko and folk song]. Kharkiv : Mystetstvo, 83 s.
16. Svientsytskyi, I. (1996). Petro Kholodnyi (Slovo na vidkrytti vystavky prats artysta v Natsionalnomu muzei dnia 22 bereznia) [Petro Kholodniy (The opening speech of the artist's works at the National Museum on March 22)]. Na poshanu Petrovi Ivanovychu Kholodnomu (1876-1930). Lviv, Vyp.1, 39–41.
17. Sviаtoslav Hordynskyі pro mystetstvo (2015) [ Sviatoslav Gordynsky about art]. Lviv: Apriori, 1024.
18. Sydor, O. (2006). Petro Kholodnyi – starshyi: kyianyn, shcho stav lvivianynom [Petro Kholodnyi - Senior: Kiev resident in Lviv]. Lviv (1256–2006): Tserkva i suspilstvo: statti y materialy. Lviv : Vyd-vo Lvivskoho muzeiu istorii relihii "Lohos", 136–144.
19. Skliarenko, H. (2013). Do problemy natsionalnoho vidrodzhennia v ukrainskii kulturi ta mystetstvi ХХ storichchia [On the Problem of National Revival in 20th Century Ukrainian Culture and Art]. Khudozhnia kultura. Aktualni problemy. K. : Feniks, Vyp.9, 79–82.
20. Teliachyi, Yu., Fedoruk, O. Tvorchist P. I. (2007). Kholodnoho v khudozhnii krytytsi D. V. Antonovycha [Creativity of the P. Kholodnji in art criticism D. Antonovych]. zb. nauk. st. i povidomlen za materialamy kruhloho stolu. Petro Ivanovych Kholodnyi (1876-1930). Zhyttia v imia Ukrainy. Kamianets-Podilskyi: Aksioma, 135–142.
21. Teliachyi, Yu.(2013). Petro Kholodnyi «Oi u poli zhyto» [Petro Kholodny «Rye in Field»]. Obrazotvorche mystetstvo, 2, 114–115.
22. Kholodnyi, P. (1930). Vidpovid na zapyt [Answer the request]. 25-littia Natsionalnoho muzeiu u Lvovi. Lviv, 4–5.
23. Chaika, P. (1913). Vystavka kartyn ukrainskykh khudozhnykiv [Exhibition of paintings by Ukrainian artists]. Siaivo, 7, 210.
24. Chetverta vystavka Hurtka diiachiv ukrainskoho mystetstva [The fourth exhibition of the Circle of figures of Ukrainian art]. Lviv, 1–4.
25. Encyclopedia of modern Ukraine. Available at : http://esu.com.ua/search_articles.php?id=32511
and educator]. Lviv: T-vo «Vzaimna Pomich Ukr. Vchytelstva», 20 p. [in Ukrainian]